Friday, October 2, 2026

So What Happens Then?

Alright, we're at the finishing line and here's how things are looking at feeling.

After two good hard weeks and solid 20 milers, on my 13 mile run two weeks ago, I tweaked my ankle in the very first part of the run - literally .10 because I stopped my watch. There was no crack or anything just a solid turn on a rail trail. I walked it out for a bit and it didn't feel bad so finished my run. Everything seemed fine but then it was a little sore the next day so I skipped the run and ever since then...

It hasn't ever been terrible but it's been present. My mileage took a sharp drop and I didn't do any tune up speed work. I can't tell how much of it is real or how much of it is in my head, but either way I took a big step back in running which took a big step back in may confidence. However, being honest, even before this I knew this block (or maybe me as I age) didn't have me looking at a PR.

Most of my hard efforts were just below 8:00 with many hovering around 8:15 and feel comfortable. That's not a 3:30. That's not (because we just got the time for 20127) a BQ. But that is my reality.

For now.

Or maybe forever.

Who is to say.

But I already thought I was looking at a 3:37-3:40 with the little hope of a 3:30 in there for a PR, but with Ankle Gate, I adjusted and I feeling like I can hopefully pull off a 3:40-3:45. Because of this shift in me and my mental game, I want to try and enjoy this race. I want it to be a bit like Providence 2021 where I just remember running it and having fun with no stress. It was good and maybe one of my fondest other than Newport and even Newport has some hints of meeeeh what if.

So that's my goal. I feel like I am supremely stressed recently and I want to try and have this be some peace even if it is a marathon. I guess we shall see.

One thing I do also know is I'm looking at this as the jumping off point for the next stage. I need to regroup with a lot of things and, like a New Year Resolution, I'm considering this the before and the after...well after. We'll see how well that goes also.

No comments:

Post a Comment