Monday, October 5, 2026

A Glitzy Finale?

Okay so it wasn't actually a glitzy finale, but it did get done.

First off, I realized Friday night that I'll be turning 45 the year of 2028 Boston Marathon which then suddenly made me realize I had a chance to potentially qualify and even, if I ran what I had as a dream day, by enough to be safe if the times weren't shifted. That actually didn't add in pressure or anything the I feared it would and, honestly, not even too much extra excitement. I still felt going into this race that I was at a "it will be what it will be" stage. I wanted to want more but I didn't have the faith in my block and, in that way, didn't have the faith in me, but I was going to line up.

The evening before the race went okay enough. I slept better than I have in the past, but I know there's better sleep and my husband did not help with his snoring. I am honing in on what I need though - definitely an Airbnb situation and two beds and ideally no other people. I'll get that sorted before the next race and hopefully have a sleep that isn't annoying. This time I at least got about five and pretty uninterrupted once I got going.

The morning is always a little weird. I'm antsy but I have like three hours. I eat when not hungry, I drink coffee, but not too much and then I get dressed and putz around. There is nothing unique about this, it's what everyone does, but man it is weird.

I got to the start with about 45 minutes to spare which was pretty good as I got to the use the bathroom twice. The weather was nice enough that layers kept me warm and I got to the start line with time to spare. The plan was to keep conservative but, honestly, I find with a marathon I sort of just run what I will run. Maybe one day I'll have more thought than survive but not yet.

The first couple miles were fine, but I was in the headspace of "man there is a lot of miles to go". It wasn't so much that anything was wrong, although I had a small cramp scare but that was just me being a dweeb I think but just the magnitude that is a marathon. But, as you do, I kept running.

The first six miles are pretty nice and a good place to get into a groove and then you hit the first of the hills which takes you to the half turnaround. I knew this was coming as I had done the half so it wasn't as daunting as I feared, and then you go straight while the half marathoners turn around. From there, the course said form about miles 9 to 17 it is rolling hills and it was. It was never anything terrible but it was enough to know you were working harder than a flat course. 

I kept onto of my nutrition with the first UCAN at 3.5 and then 7. I am pretty sure I took one close to 10.5 or 11, but then things get a little brain-foggy. It was warmer than I thought it would feel I think because of the sun, but I never felt like I ran too hot. I took a salt tab and then maybe another UCAn, non-sodium, around 13 to 15. At the half way point I found myself still amazed I had a half marathon to go, but doing okay. There were ebbs and flows with some stomach grumbles, but I managed to keep at bay with nutrition (always a risky move but I knew from Providence what might happen if I stopped doing that, especially sodium). Around mile 17, when we left the rollers behind, my legs started to hurt. It wasn't cramping, but that sort of discomfort. 

I thought I needed to pee starting at like mile 7, but I also know I use that as a technique to break so I said make it to half. Finally at 18, I realized the break and relief was a good idea and jumped in for a 1 minute pee. I kept going and then with five miles to go the legs were really hurting, but it's fine miles, I can do that. I don't remember specific things about those miles other than just keep running and trying to not slow too much but knowing I may need to. I had some quips with runners as we struggled bus to the end.

I auto-lapped my watch but didn't really math about the splits. I thought I may still be on track for a 3:45, but didn't even care towards the end. I was not going any faster than what I was going. I finished in 3:37:03 per chip time on the website which is not a BQ, but not something that I'm too disappointed with.

My legs feel the worst they ever have after a marathon and I ran three in Brooks Launches. Even today, I can't really do stairs. I feel like I did the best on could on the day and with the block I had. I knew early on this block, while not bad, wasn't quite the build I'd need for something big. I guess I made peace with that because I never tried to change it as I went. There was also travel in there that was not conducive to running and I guess that is the trade offs you make.

I think I'm up for another round of this, even though I know where I was at in mile four of this race. I think having a spring build is a better suit for me and my work and sleep schedule. As usual, now I'm suddenly all about how much I'll make changes, but one thing is for sure:

I've got to strength train.

My legs hurt way too much and that is something that is a must for this next block, if/when it starts.

So overall I told my Coach I'd give this a B which I still think is accurate. Perhaps the run itself was more of a B+/A- with the build, but the whole kit and caboodle would be a B so that's where we'll land. I am thoughtful about the idea that I get bumped to the next age group for Boston so that's something, but I also know I need to figure out a good why that isn't that I keep pressing in training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment